Wednesday 30 September 2009

This article has been edited for length.

SINGAPORE - Today, weak tremors have been felt in Singapore. This is due to a powerful undersea earthquake that shook Western Indonesia. Places like Bishan, Toa Payaoh, Hougang and even Serangoon could experience the shaking.

Puzzled residents could be seen looking out of their windows as the tremors lasted for about ten to twenty seconds. The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake had a preliminary magnitude of 7.9.

The tremors that reached Singapore was significantly weak. However, some people managed to feel it.

Examples were XYT. He was playing an online first-person-shooter game when it happened. Quoted as he was saying, "I was playing my favorite game and owning some people using my knife-pistol-together strategy when suddenly, my friend, who was also playing with me, started yelling that his room was shaking. Initially, I did not believe him as I thought he was trying to distract me. But then a few seconds later, me and my other friend also experienced some shaking. My eyeballs felt like it was going round and round like a merry-go-round."

His other friend, ZHLT, also recalled his experience. "I was arguing with XYT that I was the one who came up with the knife-pistol-together strategy when LWLS said his room was shaking. I also experienced the tremor and I was terrified. My plant pot was shaking."

His other friend who was also playing with them, LWLS, said," I thought I was feeling dizzy and tired after school. But then my table was swaying left and right and the wires hanging at the side were also swaying. My glass shelf was shaking the whole time. I was scared. It was my first time experiencing this."

Also, they noticed that not everyone felt the tremor.
As said by ZHLT, "There were some kids downstairs yelling and playing catching as if nothing was happening. I guess you cant expect too much from this as we're so far away from Indonesia." LWLS added on to his point, saying," some kid was yelling across the block even though it was swaying."

Further details on the undersea earthquake were not available as the geologists have yet to respond to our calls.

Several parts in neighbouring Malaysia also felt the shaking.



Adapted from : The BadWill Times, 30th Secember 2009.
Source : http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090930/ap_on_re_as/as_indonesia_earthquake


In case you didnt know, the whole thing above was written by me. LOL.
Ok I really felt the shaking as my room was REALLY shaking. My whole block was swaying.

At first I thought I was too stressed up but then I recalled the latest chapter that I did in Geography class. Chapter 5 : Earthquakes.

"O MY GOD SAVE ME SOMEONE! PLS SAVE ME! I SWEAR I WILL PAY ATTENTION TO MRS ISMAIL IN CLASS FROM NOW ON!"

Nah it wasn't that serious. Just some slight swaying.
K that was random.
Back to studying now.






So if I ever see you on the street
I'll pretend that I didnt see
And turn my face
No use in small talk anyways

Because if I look into your eyes
Then I'll have to say goodbye
And thatll break my heart
So I wont even start
I wont even start.

No comments: